Home   >   Other ways to reduce your bills   >   Insulation


Cavity Wall Insulation

An uninsulated home will lose one third of its heat through the walls.  If you live in a home that was built after 1920 then it is likely you have cavity walls, which is two walls with a gap in the middle. Heat escapes from your home to the colder air outside. Having insulation keeps the heat in.

To find out if cavity wall insulation is suitable for your home, the savings you can make and how it’s installed, please visit the Cavity Wall Insulation page on the Energy Saving Trust website.


Solid Wall Insulation

If you live in a home that was built before 1920 then it is likely that you have solid walls. Uninsulated solid walls can let twice as much heat escape as an uninsulated cavity wall.  These can be insulated from the inside or the outside. This is a more expensive option.  To find out if solid wall insulation is suitable for your home, the savings you can make and how its installed, please go to the Solid Wall Insulation page on the Energy Saving Trust website.


Insulating other types of wall

If your home does not fit into the above categories then it may be a steel-frame or timber-frame building, or made of pre-fabricated concrete. If so then normally you will not have a cavity space to fill and therefore you may be able to insulate them in the same way as a solid wall. However, you may need a specialist company to insulate a non-standard wall.


Roof and Loft Insulation

An uninsulated home will lose a quarter of its heat through the roof, therefore it is recommended that you have 270mm of insulation installed. This will save heat escaping and reduce your fuel bills.

To find out how much you could save, how to choose and install loft insulation, please go to the Loft Insulation page on the Energy Saving Trust website.


Floor Insulation

Older homes are more likely to have suspended timber floors, which can be insulated from underneath using various methods.  Newer homes will have solid floors which can be insulated on top.  Only the ground floor or floors above uninsulated spaces (e.g. a garage) need to be insulated.  More information is available on the Energy Saving Trust website.


For more advice and to find an installer that may be able to help please contact the National Insulation Association.